The Pig sent me a photo the other day of what he dubbed “the best cake I’ve ever eaten”, a raspberry-and-white-cake concoction created by one of his fellow nurses at Willy B. The picture appeared to back up his statement. I could almost taste how moist and delicious it was.
I vowed to bake my own.
As I flitted around in the kitchen, building my masterpieces, my husband kept eye-balling the cupcakes.
I had to fend him off with a wooden spoon.
After I topped the last cupcake with fresh raspberries, we cut one in half: the defining moment.
I took one bite and nearly fainted four times.
The Pig’s eyes got even bigger.
These darlings are moist, flavorful, delicious and memorable: everything you could ever want in a cupcake.
Vanilla Raspberry Cupcakes
Makes about 18-24 cupcakes
The recipe for Vanilla Cupcakes was created by Cup4Cup.
• 2 cups Cup4Cup flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 large eggs
• 2 egg whites
• 1 cup milk
• 1 3-ounce package of raspberry Jello
• 1 10-ounce container of Cool Whip
• fresh raspberries
• shredded coconut (optional)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°.
2. Line muffin pans with paper liners.
3. Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Cream together the sugar and the butter until light and airy.
5. Add in the vanilla extract.
6. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add 2 whole eggs.
7. With a paddle attachment, mix for 2 minutes at medium speed.
8. Mix in 1 cup of milk for another minute.
9. Combine the flour mixture into the batter.
10. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites until medium peaks begin to form.
11. Fold egg whites into batter.
12. Scoop the batter into baking cups about 2/3 full.
13. Bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
14. Once cool, poke holes in the cupcakes with a large fork.
15. Add one cup of boiling water to the package of gelatin and stir 2 minutes or until completely dissolved.
16. Add 1/2 cup of cold water.
17. Pour the Jello over the cupcakes.
18. Refrigerate for three hours.
19. Top with Cool Whip and raspberries.
If you like coconut, sprinkle some on top of the Cool Whip. The taste is reminiscent of Hostess Sno Balls.